20 year-Unesco anniversary walking tour
- Wander with the connoisseurs through Luang Prabang town that has done its utmost, over the past two decades, to protect, showcase and enhance its cultural heritage of both ancient and French Colonial remains.
- Enjoy coffee at the ‘Artisans Café, often also called ‘Phuang Champa Cultural House’.
In celebration of the 20th UNESCO Anniversary in December 2015, a book was published that highlights myriad aspects of this unique and charming World Heritage Site. Until now, there existed no detailed guidebook enabling visitors to set out to explore Luang Prabang’s wealth of religious and secular architecture, which is often hidden away in alleys and gardens, off the beaten track.
Set out on foot for an ‘off the beaten track’ walking tour with your local guide and the 20th Anniversary Book in hand. Observe Luang Prabang’s distinct architecture and let your guide tell you stories about the houses you see and the places you pass. Wander through small streets and alleys to witness the rural lifestyle that local people have maintained. After the tour, stroll along a tree-lined lane just off the main road and step into a bygone era. Courtiers of the former royal Lao court built the residences and temples lining the brick path and we will take a break at the ‘Artisans Café. The Cafe, often also called ‘Phuang Champa Cultural House’ is a treasure trove of Lao antiques housed in a more than 100-year old traditional wooden residence. Step into the garden and enjoy a ‘Lao Tea Break’ with Lao coffee or herbal tea and traditional snacks. Sit down, relax and feel free to ask your guide more questions about Luang Prabang’s heritage and fascinating buildings.
- Availability: Morning or Afternoon, Every day except Sundays
- Suggested Time: 08:00 - 12:00 or 14:00 - 18:00
- Duration: 4 hours
- Included Meal: Lao Tea Break
- This tour includes an easy 2-3 hour walk around the Peninsula of Luang Prabang and a vehicle will be at your disposal during the tour if you wish to shorten the walk. Also included in this tour is a limited edition ‘A Walk through the Heritage of Luang Prabang’ book in celebration of the 20th UNESCO Anniversary of the city.
- Private transfer
- English speaking guide
- Entrance fee
- Food & drink fee
- Water and tissue